Sunday, September 25, 2011

Fast and Slow - two meals out of very little

I have been trying to cook with what I have on hand because, brother, I have stashed a lot of stuff. 

Saturday night we try to eat a light dinner because of snacks with the horror movie later that evening.  I had leftover broccoli in the fridge and a 10 pound bag of onions I had just gotten at the wholesale club.  I was dying to cook some onions, slowly, with Aleppo pepper.  Two big onions filled my skillet, which had 2 tablespoons of butter melted in it.  I added a pinch of salt and the Aleppo and let it slowly turn into red gold.
Broccoli-cheese puffs

Into two individual dishes went the broccoli, chopped.  About 1/8 cup of the onion goodness in each, followed by 1/4 cup of shredded sharp cheddar.  I whipped 4 eggs with 1 cup of milk and 1/2 cup of self-rising flour, seasoned this with some salt, pepper and nutmeg, then poured it over the vegetables and cheese.  Into the oven for 25 minutes at 350 and dinner!

Today I went back to the freezer for turkey legs left from the fresh turkey that I dismembered last Christmas.  These were seasoned, browned and braised in white wine with all the usual suspects (onion, carrot and celery).  I put them in a 275 degree oven for 4 hours.
the bacon

I started this with two strips of bacon in the pan, browned then removed.

The turkey legs had been severed at the ankle, allowing me to remove those pesky leg bones and "needles" after cooking.  I seasoned them with salt, pepper and poultry seasoning.
the legs, minus the ends
 About two small onions, 4 carrots and the inside of a bunch of celery heart that I found wilting in the vegetable drawer went in to brown up.  Then white wine, a little water a little pinch of salt and some pepper.

When it was done, I removed the meat, removed the skin and bones from the meat, then shredded the meat into bite-size pieces.


The vegetables in the pan were smashed with the potato masher to make the sauce.  The meat was added back to the pan and the whole thing tasted again for seasoning.


Mirepoix

white wine and Penzey's poultry seasoning

Served with steamed brussel sprouts and smashed yukon gold potatoes.  All that was missing was the cranberry.  The best thing - the house smelled divine the entire afternoon.

No comments:

Post a Comment