- Oven Smoked Pork
- Red Bliss potato salad
- Almost Southern baked beans
- Coleslaw with poppy seed dressing
- Lemon-Blueberry pound cake
Almost Southern baked beans are almost as easy. This starts with bacon so you know it's good.
- 4 slices bacon, diced
- 1 medium onion, fine dice
- 1/2 medium green pepper, fine dice
- 4 cans pork and beans -- (14 ounces each)
- 1/2 cup barbecue sauce
- 1/2 cup brown sugar
- 1/4 cup cider vinegar
- 2 teaspoons dry mustard
Blueberry-Lemon Pound Cake
This recipe is a compilation of the Bundt cake recipe found on the Martha Stewart website and the Lemon-Blueberry pound cake from Cooking Light. I left out the light part. But I did use the yogurt.
- 2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour -- plus 1 teaspoon for blueberries and zest
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup unsalted butter -- (2 sticks) room temperature
- 1 cup packed light-brown sugar
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon lemon extract
- 4 large eggs
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 cup sour cream or 1/2 cup sour cream and 1/2 cup plain yogurt
- 2 cups blueberries
- 2 tablespoons grated lemon zest
Preheat oven to 350°.
Whisk or sift 2 1/2 cups flour with baking powder, lemon zest and salt; set aside.
In a mixing bowl, cream butter and sugars on high speed until light and fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time, beating until incorporated. Beat in vanilla and lemon extract. Reduce speed to low; add flour mixture in three additions, alternating with two additions of sour cream, sour cream/yogurt.
Toss the blueberries with a teaspoon of flour; gently fold into batter. Coat a 12-cup nonstick Bundt pan with cooking spray. Spread batter in prepared pan.
Bake cake on bottom rack of oven until a toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, 60 to 70 minutes. Cool in pan 20 minutes. Invert onto a rack; cool completely, top side up. Glaze with confectioners sugar thinned with lemon juice.
I think everything went well, the food certainly did. We had cold Rolling Rocks with it but Sweet Tea would definately fit the bill as well.