Friday, February 4, 2011

Time flies when you are stuck indoors

Knitting update - the right side is done and the sleeves are both done up to the armpit.   And I have not left the house since Monday, January 31st, 2011.

Tuesday, the day of the "big Storm" I started cooking.  Oatmeal leftover from breakfast became dinner rolls in case we needed more bread when the power failed.  Or I should say "As if I needed more bread".  Then I started the beef and mushroom bolognese.  It was done, simmering, when the power failed.  Thankfully it was in my new cast iron ceramic braising pan so it stayed warm with the lid on.  Unfortunately the spaghetti was not cooked yet.  So dinner was a salad and the sauce with those fresh oatmeal rolls.  Not bad at all.

The kids came over because, of course, their furnace quit working before the power went out and wasn't coming on when the power returned.  So next day we had a big breakfast of "Nonni's best pancakes in the world" and syrup for pancakes that isn't maple syrup.  I am so glad that I have kept supplies up all winter "just in case".  Later in the day everyone left and I put on a pot of red beans.

Red Beans and Rice, or any bean and rice, is my favorite semi-vegetarian meal.  Since I discovered ham base I've lost the vegetarian bit, but even without the ham base smoky paprika gives everything a nice hamlike aroma.  Since I have about 10 pounds of rice in the food stores I made extra because I had an ulterior motive.

Thursday dawned, the crock pot came out and thanks to Carnation and Pet milk products I made a huge pot of rice pudding.  With raisins.  For lunch - Rice pudding.  For snack - Rice pudding.  Then breakfast on Friday -Rice pudding.  I skipped lunch.

Tonight leftover bolognese, this time with the spaghetti.  And a salad.

Rice Pudding

2-3 cups cooked rice
1 can sweetened condensed milk
1 can evaporated milk
1 evapo milk can of water
Raisins to taste, or not

Cook on high 1 1/2 hours or until thick and creamy.
Eat warm, cold, and with whipped cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment