Monday, June 13, 2011

Easy Easy Easy fruit jam

I am so late to this game.  Everyone but me knew about this.  For years I struggled to boil, toil and trouble my jam into existence.

Now I know about "Freezer Jam"!!

With my food processor, some sweetening agent, a bottle of easy lemon, fruit of choice and the Miracle of Pectin I have fresh tasting fruit purees thick enough to stay on my english muffin.


peach
It started with a special on a crate of peaches - After sitting on the table for two days I knew something had to be done.  They were a little to firm to eat out of hand and grilling is not a popular option here. 

I was going to make regular peach jam but came across the magic pectin while cruising the grocery on a sugar quest.
strawberry (from my garden)

both jams with the magic ingredient.  These containers
started out full.



the first few peaches I peeled.  But boiling the fruit did not make the peel any easier to remove.  So after that I dipped the fruit in hot water to scald then just chopped it up into the food processor.  This worked out well, the skins adding extra color.

For every 2 cups of fruit I added 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, 1 cup of sugar and 2 tablespoons of pectin. Stir to combine and thicken slightly - kind of like instant pudding - then into containers for the freezer. (I understand that sweetener such as Equal are also effective.)

I have plastic containers from hot and sour soup that I reused for this.  The freezer jars for jam are just too small for this stuff.  This isn't as sweet as cooked jam and retains the taste of fresh fruit.  I made some poundcake, which I covered with fruit.  Bought some plain yogurt, which got layered with fruit.  Ice cream - fruit.  Toast - fruit.  Cereal - fruit.

Sometimes I'm slow but do catch on eventually.

No comments:

Post a Comment